Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hai dard phaila hai zakhm gehra - Ada

This is a song I heard recently, and it vibrantly resonates with what is on my mind at the moment, which is the reason why I am attempting to translate the Hindi lyrics into English.




Hai dard phaila, hai zakhm gehra
The pain is spread wide, the hurt is very deep
kyon door tak hai, tehra andhera
why has the darkness enwrapped everything in sight
hai yeh dhundh, yeh dhundh kaisi kaisa hai kohra
Oh, this mist, this haze, how has this fog formed (and...)
khoya kyon aaine mein usska chehra, aaine mein usska chehra
how did it make me lose sight of her face in the mirror


Neend royi raat raat jaan woh judaa ho gayi
It is like life has been separated from me, I had been crying nights and nights
raat royi raat raat jaan woh khafa ho gayi
I cry for the want of my life which has distanced itself from me
aankhon mein aansuoon ka hai pehra, aansuoon ka hai pehra
in my eyes, there is always a flood waiting to break free


yeh tapish na jaayegi naa yeh khalish jaayegi
this fire for you would never extinguish, neither does my anxiety to reach you, which burns me
dard ki aaghosh mein har khushi khamosh hai
pain has me in its vicious grip, and every happiness is throttled as a result
dikhta nahi dhua dhua hai yeh chehra dhua dhua hai yeh chehra
in the ensuing blurriness, I can not see her face, I miss seeing her face


Kahan ho tum kaha ho, chale aao jahan ho woh yaadein yaad aati hai
where are you, where are you, Whaley? Come to me at once, wherever you are. I keep reminiscing those memories
Kahan ho tum kaha ho, teri yaadein rulati hai
where are you, where are you, Whaley? Your memories, your absence make me wade in the depths of sorrow
aajaao teri yaadon ne ghera, teri yaadon ne ghera
please come back to me, I am deluged with your thoughts, I feel embosomed with your thoughts


Hai dard phaila, hai zakhm gehra
The pain is spread wide, the hurt is very deep
kyoon door tak hai, tehra andhera
why has the darkness enwrapped everything in sight
hai yeh dhundh, yeh dhundh kaisi kaisa hai kohra
Oh, this mist, this haze, how has this fog formed (and...)
Khoya kyon aaine mein usska chehra aaine mein usska chehra
how did it make me lose sight of her face in the mirror


Acknowledgements :
Hindi lyrics taken from: http://lyricsmasti.blogspot.com/2008/06/hai-dard-phaila-hai-zakhm-gehra-ada.html
Song Name: Hai Dard Phaila Hai Zakhm Gehra
Album Name: Ada
Singer Names: Udit Narayan,
Lyricist Name: Nusrat Badr
Music Director: A R Rahman

No comments: